Monday, August 23, 2010

When it rains...it pours

Yep, that's right, when it rains it pours, and I'm not talking about the crazy storm Utah got yesterday...i'm talking about life.

A lot has been happening since I last posted - So here's the recap - - - -

(If you don't feel like reading the post, no worries, I don't blame you..although it does get happy at the end! But I do need your advice! Questions posted at the end of post. please comment)

2 weeks ago, my laptop crashed. Yep, my hard drive gave up on me and I lost everything. Yes, everything! All 9,000 photos including all my Ecuador photos, London photos, college photos, dating photos, our proposal photos, family photos...everything thing! I cried for 2 days.

I also lost all my previous school work including research papers.

I was also just about to finish editing a book. Yep, all the copies of the book are GONE! I've been working on it for MONTHS, and now I have nothing to work from. Luckily, I printed off a copy about a month ago, but now I have to retype it all...blast!

I have to reinstall all of the applications on my computer. Applications that I don't have disks for. How important is Word anyways?

James' car is dying. It feels like every few months we are getting it fixed and putting $$$ into it. We are down to one car right now. I'm freaking out because it scares me to only have one car, especially with a baby soon.  I say sell his car and get a used one, but James doesn't want to have 2 car payments. It's just stressful. It's also stressful, because i'm stranded at home all day, and today he forgot to take out my purse which has my camera and ipod in it...which means I can't upload the few photos i DO have and I can't start over on my itunes library.

My doctors appointment a few weeks ago was good. I'm blood pressure is back to normal but I wasn't dilated or effacted at all. gr.

So, when I went on Friday, I told my family that if I hadn't progressed I would cry to my doctor. He checked me, and yep, still NOTHING! 37 weeks and nothing! He's full term now and I am MORE THAN READY to have our little son here.

I think I was SO READY because I've been so sick. I still have 'morning sickness' which has been the worst! I also have had a terrible head cold on top of that all. So, throwing up, major contractions, not dilated, not being able to breath, couldn't swallow = a not so good week. Oh, and it was all spent on the couch up at Pineview. My family took a 3 days boating get away and I was sick the whole time. Not so fun.

I'm worried that I won't know when to go to the Hospital to have our little guy. I've been have such bad contractions and cramping and all that, but knowing that I'm not dilated, I know I'm not ready to have him. I pray every night that my water will break, because I feel like that is the only way I will really know that it's baby time.

It's crazy how venting about all the negative things in my life right now make me appreciate all the good....

Even though I lost everything on my computer, I didn't have to purchase a new hard drive. Apple replaced it for free and even fixed my broken keyboard.

My nasty cold is pretty much gone. My voice is still manly, but I can handle that!

Before I got the cold, I was able to totally clean the house. EVERYTHING is organized and clean and washed.  I'd love our little guy to come now so he can come home to a clean home. Cuz lets be honest, I don't know if I'll have the energy to do it again :)

We have a name for our Mister! Wanna know what it is...well, you'll have to wait til he makes his Grand Enterance!

The ward I grew up in is throwing me a baby shower this week! I'm so excited because there a few things we are still in need of and we might just get them without needing to purchase them.

Somebody or some people are doing like a 12 days of Christmas to us...although, it's 12 gifts til baby comes! How cute is that?! It is so fun to wake up to a package on our doorstep with baby gear. We've received binkies, clothes, baby bath, picture frame, baby play-mat and toys and more clothes. We are seriously so grateful to whoever is doing this...THANK YOU!

Normal weight gain for pregnancy is 25-35 pounds. I've only gained 25. (Yes, i've admitted how much weight i've gained so far) I'm sure my weight gain would be higher, but since I keep throwing up, I think that helps :)

Even though this is bad...I'm okay with it - I have 3 stretch marks. Yep, I do. But luckily they are on my low hip and they are only about an inch long. I hope I'll be able to keep them that way. Kinda funny story... One night I was laying in bed and said to James, 'I have stretch marks.' He said calmly, ' I know you do.' I was like WHAT?! You know? I Just noticed them. Where are they? And he went on to tell me they are on my hip. I was shocked that he had seem them days before I even noticed them, and he didn't mention it to me. What a great husband huH!? He then went on to tell me it was okay, because everyone gets me. (I know there are a lot of women who don't get them, but it still made me feel better)

My sister got engaged! Her fiancee is amazing and we just LOVE HIM! He invited us to the proposal and I have tons of pictures of it, but of course, they are in my purse, in my car, with James.  So i'll have to post them another day. They are getting married September 29th. So soon! It has been so fun planning a wedding again. I cannot wait til they are married, they are seriously perfect for each other!

Well, I think that is pretty much everything that has gone on for the past 2 months. I go to my doctor again on Wednesday...I hope he gives me better news - i'm getting so ready and so excited to have my little guy in my arms! Only 20 days til my due date!!

QUESTION FOR ALL YOU MOMMIES
(Hopefully if you didn't read the post, you caught this!)

I've been gathering and packing our hospital bags. (and yes, I'm putting the carseat in the car this week! I'm just that excited) But I need to know what all you Mommies took with you to the hospital and what you really didn't need and what you'd recommend.  I don't want to over do it, but I don't want to forget anything either. Any hospital advice would be GREATLY appreciated! And I mean any hospital advice because we didn't take birthing classes, so we really don't know what to expect. So any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. (even advice about when we first get home :S ) I wanna be fully prepared while I still have time to prepare. THANKS!!

8 comments:

  1. if you are planning on nursing, i would take your boppy pillow- i was so tired from labor i could barely hold up my little girl to feed her! So it's nice to have that. And just dark/comfy sweats/clothes. shower stuff... the usual... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully I don't write a novel here:

    Take your own pillow and a boppy, maybe even a blanket you love there pillows suck!! Take your breastpump, a comfy rob (I lived in mine during my 5 day stay),comfy pants,and tank tops that you can breast feed in. I got mine at Target. Cute socks or slippers. I did wear the socks they provide there.

    My biggest advice for you is listen to the nurses but don't let them walk all over you! They will give you advice but you know what is right for your baby. Its crazy the minute that little guy comes out you'll know what is good for him and who he is.

    They don't come home with you after your stay in the hospital so if they tell you something you don't need to always do exactly what they say. If they offer you things for breast feeding make sure you ask if you'll be charged for it. I was charged for a couple of things I had no idea I would be charged for.

    Don't be afraid to ask questions and buzz the nurses station as much as you want. That is what they are there for. I thought I was bugging the hell out of them but by the last couple of days I didnt' care and i'd buzz that sucker so much.

    Make sure you get your medicine when you are supposed too and even if you don't have much pain keep taking it. Your body can't heal when its in pain.

    You'll know when you need to go to the hospital... Trust me. Even though I got induced you will know what a contraction is and you will just hop in the car and zoom off. haha

    I hope all this helped and i'm soo excited for you!! Since you don't have a car we can have play dates if you want and I can come pick you up! Just let me know. Good luck missy you'll do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with carly. take extra clothes for you and the baby for when it is time to go home. bring make up, hair brush, etc (it feels nice to shower after labor). i didn't take my boppy but they had so many pillows i didn't need to. the most important thing, your camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just how you feel- I am 39 weeks and have had contractions that have been horrid for the past month and a half.. and am so worried I wont know when I go into labor- I was dialated to a 2, 2 weeks ago and nothing.. SO ready to have this lil guy also.
    I got told to take loose sweats, socks, shower stuff(a towel), 1-2 outfits for the baby, blanket for baby, and an outfit for you.
    I acutally googled 'hospital bag checklist' and kinda compared a few and took what I thought would make me more comfy while there.
    Good luck with your pregnancy- you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two things I couldn't do without--my own pillow and the stuff to make me feel like a woman again--make-up, yummy smelling shampoo, flat iron. Everything else, except camera, I could do without, but those were my lifesavers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all Im sorry you are having a crappy time with pregnancy and your computer crashing etc. (just know the pregnancy pain is soo worth it!)

    Hospital stuff:
    I way overpacked. my advice is only bring outfits for you and baby for the day you are going home, Basic tolities and CAMERA (obviously). Note: you will not fit in pre pregancy clothes...bring maternity clothes to go home in. I just lived in the gowns at the hospital seeing as i never even left my room. If you don't like that idea then bring your own comfy clothes...but you still have a lot going on down there so I wouldn't wear anything you like too much. They also have clothes for baby...I would just stick with that.

    Other note: take everything you can from the hospital! lol. I mean ask for extras of things to take home. You will love the tucks and creams and pads they give you there and will still need them at home. And ask for all the meds and crackers you can while there! lol. We really really enjoyed our time at the hospital. It was really a special time just to celebrate our baby and be together. I loved it! I didn't want to leave! I hope you enjoy it and I can't wait to see pictures of your little mister.
    oh also...as much as it will kill you to part with your baby...let the nursery take him at night, they will bring him back every few hours for food. But you will need the sleep. (believe me!)

    also...(sorry)I hope someone has told you plenty about the recovery for yourself...if not let me know and I will send you this link to a post all about it. lol...i will just have to find it.

    ok im finally done....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you might have an "irritable uterus". Basically it means that your uterus is contracting but it is not changing your cervix. I had it with all 5 kids & with each of my pregnancies they started earlier and earlier. With Logan I started having contractions 5-7 minutes apart for at least 8 hours a day when I was 31 weeks pregnant & although I would start to dilate I would sit at 3cm for at least 2 weeks every time. Irritable Uterus contractions feel just like labor contractions (I've had 3 natural childbirths so I know what they feel like) so it's hard to tell when you are really in labor. Especially when my contractions would get closer together over time and would be super painful and only 2 minutes apart for several hours and I'd go into my Doctor Apt the next day and see NO CHANGE!! The best thing to do is talk to your Doctor about it and see what he thinks & don't be afraid to go into the Dr to have them check you. Our insurance charged us a ton every time I'd go in and they'd send me home since they have to monitor you for at least an hour every time before they can send you home. I went in at least once with each pregnancy when I wasn't really in labor & got sent home & I ended up getting induced 3 times to finally put me out of my misery! I suggest going into your Dr. office and see if he can check you first if you think you are in labor but not sure. Then you only have to pay the co-pay and not all the hospital garbage & it only takes a few minutes instead of over an hour. Most Dr's won't make you schedule an appointment since you are already full term.

    As far as what to take to the hospital I think it's all been said, comfy elastic waist clothes or maternity pants, make up and toiletries that will make you feel beautiful, a robe for sure. Someone mentioned that "there is still a lot going on down there" meaning you will be bleeding a lot and you basically wear diapers the whole time you are in the hospital. They are enormous pads as long as your arm and about 8 inches wide and you line them with tucks and then hold it all up with fancy stretchy net like underwear. Not the most stylish or comfortable and kind of hard to fit it all into a cute pair of jeans! If you plan on wearing your own clothes while you are in the hospital like someone mentioned you want to make sure that you won't mind if they get stained. I would suggest a cute/comfy robe pulled over the hospital gowns. Bring your camera AND your chargers! You are going to take so many pictures/videos that you are probably going to use your whole battery and if you don't you will as you look through them over and over again while you are there! Also bring your journal so you can write the birth story down while it's still fresh in your mind. You have a lot of down time while you are there and you probably won't have much when you get home and you are taking care of the baby all day long. Also maybe a good book or a baby book to write down all the info in. Your laptop to put pictures on or email friends and family. You are going to want to send everyone pictures of him and it's nice to be able to do it while you sit in bed and recover.

    Be prepared to be woken up in the hospital by the nurses every few hours to check your vitals. So I agree 100% to let the nurses take him into the nursery at least the first night so you get some good rest. You will have the rest of eternity to stare at him and I promise that being well rested when you get home makes a HUGE difference. Sleep deprivation is THE ABSOLUTE HARDEST THING about having a new baby and even though you won't feel it kicking in right away, it will creep up on you and it's important to get as much sleep during your recovery as possible.

    If you have any questions about irritable uterus stuff or really just anything, feel free to call me anytime! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Word Ok so I know it is weird that I read blogs.(This is Kasey) Oh well I will get over it. Make sure James brings an air mattress if he is planning on staying the night with you. The couch really sucks(at least at the hospital I slept at) yeah and all the other stuff. Make sure to steal the diapers off the cart each time they bring you the baby. Yeah that is my advise. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete